The mission of Atlantis Academy is to provide a safe and nurturing environment to enhance our students’ academic, social, and emotional growth and to foster a sense of self-worth and self-confidence.
Atlantis Academy provides students with various learning needs the academic, behavioral, social and emotional supports they need to reach their full potential.
We use evidence-based practices in curriculum, instruction and positive behavior supports to help students succeed. We conduct routine, ongoing assessments to monitor students’ progress and establish the best learning environment for them. Our teachers adjust instruction based on assessment and ongoing progress monitoring to meet the academic, social, emotional and behavioral needs of each student.
Atlantis Academy provides a comprehensive education program for students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade (up to age 22) tailored to meet the unique learning needs of each student.
The Atlantis Academy L.I.F.E. Programs in Coral Springs and Miami are designed to support young adults with varying abilities over the age of 18 by providing them the skills needed to live a more independent life at home and in the workplace.
All students follow a personalized program that aligns with state standards. Upon enrollment, students complete a comprehensive assessment and monitoring plan to identify the appropriate levels of instruction and intervention required for their unique needs. Students are reassessed three times during the school year to measure progress and to guide decisions about what’s best for each student.
Using the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis, we work with each student as necessary to reduce behaviors that may inhibit learning and develop the appropriate behaviors to help students achieve success in the classroom.
Teaching and Learning
Atlantis Academy is committed to providing evidence-based curriculum and instruction to our students. Our curriculum and instructional practices are designed to prepare our students to graduate from high school and be successful in post-secondary options, including college and careers.
This model outlines the four steps of our instructional process:
- Define. Teachers use a variety of tools to measure student progress, define specific academic and behavioral skill deficits, and inform instruction.
- Analyze. Based on the data, teachers determine which instructional strategies and interventions will have the greatest effect on academic growth and achievement.
- Instruct. Scientific research shows the evidence-based instruction provided in Atlantis Academy classrooms has been demonstrated to be effective. These instructional practices and interventions are designed to increase the rigor and relevance of the student’s educational program and to accelerate learning.
- Monitor. We monitor the classroom performance of each student every day. This allows teachers to identify learners who need more complex assignments or who either aren’t meeting benchmarks or responding to interventions – and to adjust their instruction.
Atlantis Academy also provides a technology-rich environment to enhance teacher-led instruction and, based on student need, utilizes several research-based curriculum platforms to supplement instruction.
Behavior Support Continuum of Services
Atlantis Academy is committed to helping students manage their own behavior. We utilize the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) framework for delivering school-wide, classroom and individual behavior supports.
The primary components of PBIS at Atlantis Academy include:
- A continuum of procedures intended for all students, staff and settings in all school environments
- A common approach to behavior intervention
- A clear set of positive behavior expectations
- Procedures for teaching expected, alternative and replacement behaviors
- Implementation of reinforcement systems
- Procedures for using mild consequences for challenging behavior
- Effective procedures for promoting student engagement
- Procedures for ongoing analysis of student behavior
Progress Monitoring and Assessment
Atlantis Academy students participate in a comprehensive assessment throughout the school year so teachers can screen, benchmark, measure student growth, monitor progress and plan instruction. Based on the assessment plan, students receive a course of study that matches them with the appropriate course content and addresses their behavioral needs.
Atlantis Academy uses progress monitoring systems to:
- Guide instructional decisions
- Determine a student’s current level of educational and behavior performance
- Measure and report student progress toward goals
- Communicate progress to parents and other stakeholders
Progress monitoring allows Atlantis Academy teachers to make necessary changes to instruction to meet the goals set for each student. Depending on the skill level of the student, assessments will vary.
Affective Education & Social Skills Instruction
Evidence-based social skills instruction is incorporated into all aspects of the school day, including small group discussion, role-playing activities, and social skills training that is built into academic instruction. We place additional focus on teaching students problem-solving skills and strategies to prevent and respond to bullying.